Senate Should Schedule a Hearing and Hold and Up-or-Down Vote
MADISON – Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce (WMC) announced its support on Thursday of Judge Neil Gorsuch as the next Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. Judge Gorsuch has been respected at every level of his career, and he is an ideal candidate to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia.
“We commend President Trump for choosing a nominee to the court that has shown judicial restraint and a strict adherence to the principles of the Constitution throughout his career,” said WMC President/CEO Kurt Bauer. “Judge Gorsuch deserves a hearing in the Senate and should be swiftly approved as our next Justice.”
Judge Gorsuch will be a noteworthy addition to the Supreme Court, and Wisconsin’s senators should lead the charge to approve his nomination. WMC thanks Sen. Ron Johnson for quickly announcing his support of Judge Gorsuch and calls on Sen. Tammy Baldwin to do the same.
Judge Neil Gorsuch’s Background:
- Columbia University, B.A., with honors, 1988; Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1991; Harry Truman Scholar
- Oxford University, D. Phil. 2004; Marshall Scholar
- Law Clerk, Hon. David B. Sentelle, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1991-1992
- Law Clerk, Associate Justice Byron R. White (Retired) and Associate Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, Supreme Court of the United States, 1993-1994
- Partner, Kellogg, Huber, Hansen, Todd, Evans & Figel, 1998-2005; Associate, 1995-1997
- Principal Deputy to the Associate Attorney General and Acting Associate Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, 2005-2006
- Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (Denver)
- Nominated by President George W. Bush on May 10, 2006, to a seat vacated by Hon. David M. Ebel; Confirmed by voice vote on July 20, 2006.
For more information, contact:
Nick Novak, 608.258.3400