Member Job Openings
To Submit a Job Opening – See the bottom of this page
Posted: November 17, 2015
Facility Environmental, Health, & Safety Manager
Georgia-Pacific, Green Bay, WI
Georgia-Pacific (GP) is among the world’s leading manufacturers of bath tissue, paper towels, napkins, tableware, paper-based packaging, office papers, cellulose, specialty fibers, nonwoven fabrics, building products and related chemicals. Our building products business makes DensGlass® gypsum board often seen in commercial construction, DryPly® plywood and RESI-MIX® wood adhesives, among others. Our containerboard and packaging business offers high-end graphic packaging to bulk bins as well as Golden Isles fluff pulp. You may also recognize consumer brands like Angel Soft®, Brawny®, and Dixie® on retail shelves and enMotion® towels, Compact® bath tissue and SmartStock® cutlery dispensers when you are away from home. Our GP Harmon business is one of the world’s largest recyclers of paper, metal and plastics. As a Koch Company, we create long-term value using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible, and economically sound. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA., we employ approximately 35,000 people.
The ideal candidate must be able to embrace change, possesses strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to efficiently balance multiple priorities. The position requires strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of audiences. The successful candidate must also be self-motivated, exhibit sound decision skills and have good organization. Position reports directly to the Facility Leader, with dotted lines to the sector H&S and Environmental Leaders.
Duties & Responsibilities
•Provide leadership and strategic direction to achieve the facility EHS vision
•Develop tools/methods to assess facility culture and builds strategies to close gaps in organizational and personal risk tolerance
•Provide coaching and mentoring to facilitate ownership for safety to the line level
•Develop systems/methods for identifying hazards and evaluating risk in existing or future equipment, processes, and operations
•Prescribe control solutions to eliminate hazards and causes of loss events and to reduce the chance of loss when hazards cannot be eliminated
•Develop, with facility leadership, short and long term EHS strategies which integrate safety performance into the facilities day-to-day operation
•Ensure the facility attracts, develops, and retains the EHS talent and fosters an environment which motivates a team to fully use its capabilities in achieving desired business results
•Evaluate the effectiveness of the Consumer Products Risk Management System, analyzes overall facility EHS trends and checks and adjusts methods, systems, and strategies accordingly
•Monitor compliance to G-P H&S and Environmental Standards and Best Practices
•Provide environmental leadership and training to facility operations in all subject matter areas (air, water, waste, etc.)
•Develop and implement programs and strategies that drive Environmental Excellence
•Prepare Environmental permit applications and reports for regulatory agencies
•Maintain a positive relationship with regulatory agencies and the community
• B.S. in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, or related field
• A minimum of 3 years Health & Safety experience in an industrial or manufacturing setting
• A minimum of 5 years Health & Safety experience in an industrial or manufacturing setting
• A minimum of 2 years Environmental experience in an industrial or manufacturing setting
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
• Leadership experience
Posted: November 13, 2015
Green Bay Packaging – Green Bay Mill Division, Green Bay
Green Bay Packaging Inc. is a privately owned, diversified paper and packaging manufacturer. Founded in 1933, this Green Bay, Wisconsin based company has over 3,000 employees and 31 manufacturing locations, operating in 15 states, that serve the corrugated container, folding carton, and coated label markets.
The Green Bay Mill Division is a fully-integrated pulp and paper mill that manufactures containerboard using 100% post-consumer recycled furnish. This family-owned mill is located near the mouth of the Fox River in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The operation consists of one paper machine responsible for the production of linerboard and corrugating medium used to manufacture corrugated boxes.
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Vice President/General Manager for the Green Bay Mill Division, the Safety Manager will provide safety and occupational health leadership to all departmental areas. From a strategic business perspective this position must focus on a steadfast commitment to planning, implementing, coordinating and reviewing all safety and occupational health components for all personnel, materials, equipment and environments to ensure safety regulation compliance and the continued development of a safety culture.
The primary focus of the Safety Manager will be to provide strong leadership and technical support by reviewing and updating employee safety programs to determine their compliance with applicable regulations as well as the adequacy and application of safety principles, practices and techniques in the workplace. The Safety Manager will coordinate worker training in the areas of occupational safety and health, hazard recognition, and use of safety equipment. The Safety Manager will implement and oversee a process to ensure all accidents, injuries, and occupational diseases are investigated to determine their causes and the need to implement preventive measures.
The Safety Manager will work closely with the area production and maintenance Managers and Superintendents to coordinate and manage safety programs and projects by assisting in the development of objectives, targets and reporting procedures consistent with the Green Bay Mill Division’s vision and strategy. Strong leadership and clear communication of Green Bay Mill’s strategy and short-term tactical objectives will provide a solid foundation to ensure accountability and understanding by employees at every level.
Requires an undergraduate degree in safety or related discipline; ASP or CSP certification or at least five years of safety experience in an industrial setting is preferred. Paper Mill experience is a plus.
In addition to a full complement of leadership skills, including the ability to lead teams in a union environment, it is also important for the Safety Manager to bring knowledge of OSHA 1910 regulations and their application. Basic knowledge of worker’s compensation case management, production equipment, key performance measurement indicators, basic laws and regulations at all levels as well as government and ISO audit and documentation. Incorporating continuous improvement processes and best practices will be keys to the success of the Safety Manager.
- Has credibility to work with other departments to achieve Green Bay Mill’s visions and strategies by motivating, inspiring and gaining commitment for a course of action that achieves results.
- A developer of people who sets an example for others by leading with absolute integrity and strong values. Focusing on training and developing all personnel within the facility. To compel hourly involvement and engagement as a key aspect of the company culture.
- The ability to effectively work with various operating and maintenance groups assuring safety compliance and accountability through auditing, process evaluations, implementation of new requirements, reviews of policies and training.
- Superior written communication skills with the ability to maintain and review records and reports relating to the safety programs in order to gather information for the development and enforcement of safety activities.
- The ability to clearly and effectively conduct interviews, report and review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspection, environmental testing, communicable diseases or violation of health and safety regulations.
- Superior verbal skills with the ability to effectively deliver and reinforce consistent messages at all levels within the organization. Conducting safety orientation for new hires. Developing, coordinating and communicating safety training programs for employees.
- Effectively develop and manage inspections of facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards and to ensure safety regulation compliance.
- Verify that safety equipment is appropriate and available to employees and monitor their use of such equipment to ensure proper usage.
- Prepare and review specifications and orders for the purchase of safety equipment, ensuring that proper features are present and that items conform to health and safety standards.
How to Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this exceptional career opportunity with a solid and stable company, please send your resume and salary history to:
Green Bay Packaging Inc.; Green Bay Mill Division
Attn: Human Resources Manager, PO Box 19017, Green Bay WI 54307-9017
TO POST AN OPENING
Please email job overview, in word format, to Barb Deans. Your posting will remain on our site for 6-8 weeks, unless a specific deadline is included. If you have questions, please contact the Wisconsin Safety Council at 800.236.3400.
Please include the following:
- Job Title
- How to Apply
Feel free to join our LinkedIn Group and post your position there as well!