October is Manufacturing Month
Wisconsin, along with much of the nation, currently faces a workforce paradox – high unemployment rates, yet manufacturers are limited by their ability to find skilled workers. Help promote manufacturing as a viable career in Wisconsin.
About Manufacturing Month: A Message from the State Partners
Manufacturing in Wisconsin today is a robust and dynamic industry, driving the creation of family-supporting jobs, inspiring innovation, and advancing the state’s economy.
The average pay for a manufacturing worker in Wisconsin is $53,000 per year, more than $10,000 per year higher than the average pay for all Wisconsin private-sector workers. In addition, manufacturing contributes more than $53 billion to Wisconsin’s economic output. Over 16 percent of our state’s workforce is directly employed in manufacturing, outpacing the national average of 9 percent.
To help highlight the challenging and rewarding careers that manufacturing offers, and to reaffirm the importance of manufacturers to our state’s economy, Governor Scott Walker is proclaiming October as Manufacturing Month in Wisconsin.
During the month, we encourage Wisconsin manufacturing employers to host visits, tours and other events for students, parents, teachers, guidance counselors, and other members of the community. A collection of resources is available online for employers, school district, and others to host or take part in open houses or related events.
– Kurt Bauer, President/CEO, Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce
– Buckley Brinkman, Executive Director, Wisconsin Manufacturing Extension Partnership
– Rick Chandler, Secretary, Wisconsin Department of Revenue
– Tony Evers, PhD, State Superintendent, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
– Morna K. Foy, President, Wisconsin Technical College System
– Reed Hall, CEO and Secretary, Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
– Reggie Newson, Secretary, Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
– Robert M. Meyer, Chancellor, University of Wisconsin Stout
Manufacturing Month Partners