Aetna Life Essentials
There’s an old saying that life insurance isn’t for the dead – it’s for the living. So why shouldn’t you be able to take advantage of your benefits now while you’re living?
That’s why Aetna has developed the Aetna Life EssentialsSM Program.
It’s a program that, in addition to death benefits, gives you access to resources you may need during your life, at the end of your life and after you’ve passed away, to help the ones you love.
There are four dimensions of benefits provided:
• Financial – services for covered employees, retirees and those who have ported their coverage, and, financial counseling services for beneficiaries to help them make the most of the life insurance benefit payment. Also included is an Accelerated Death Benefit (ADB) feature that allows the employee to have access to 75% of their combined basic and supplemental life face amounts to a maximum of $500,000 if the person is diagnosed with a terminal illness having a life expectancy of 24-months or less to live.
• Legal – Access to on-line estate planning tools through our Legal Reference™ program which includes living wills, health care power of attorney, durable financial power of attorney forms and the ability to create a basic will, all at no cost to the employee. The Legal Reference program also provides information on how to prevent Identity Theft and includes a Victim Action Kit if a person is victimized by identity theft. Employees eligible for an Accelerated Death Benefit payment and who were covered for supplemental life insurance or who were covering their spouse for voluntary life coverage when the ADB claim is paid, Aetna provides direct access to legal counsel who can assist the member with life and estate-related matters, such as:
- Preparing a Will, Health Care Power of Attorney, Durable Financial Power of Attorney, Revocable Living Trust and Tax Planning documents
- The sale of your primary residence
- Helping family members with guardianship documents for minor dependent children
• Emotional – For those suffering from an end of life condition, Aetna provides access to our Compassionate Care Website which allows the employee or their caregivers to obtain information on how to deal with and talk about end of life issues. Aetna also provides unlimited, telephonic bereavement and grief counseling services to employees and their immediate family who are suffering from a terminal illness and for beneficiaries of deceased life members, Aetna provides access to 3-telephonic bereavement and grief counseling session to beneficiaries and immediately family members for up to 12-month following the death of the covered employee.
• Physical – Aetna provides covered employees with access to vision, hearing and fitness center discounts for members at all stages of life. For covered employees suffering from a terminal illness condition, Aetna also provides direct access to a licensed Social Worker who can assist the employee with the struggles of having to deal with a terminal illness while advocating for their care and well being during a difficult period.
Overall these benefits provide significant value to covered employees to be used at their discretion. Aetna can help educate your employees about these benefits, and will proactively reach out to them at specific times to assure they are aware of the resources and services available to them. These enhancements are unmatched in today’s marketplace because they bring together the resources of Aetna in a unique and consumer-caring way.