Strong Job Creation Predicted by Wisconsin Employers

MADISON – Wisconsin employers are predicting strong job creation in 2012, with 87 percent of WMC members creating new jobs this year, a WMC survey found.

“Wisconsin employers say they will be creating new jobs in 2012, and that’s good news for our families and our communities,” said Kurt R. Bauer, President/CEO of Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce.  WMC is the state’s largest business association, representing small, medium, and large manufacturers and employers in all other sectors.

Through 2012, 87 percent of WMC members surveyed said they will be creating new jobs.  That’s up from last year, when 83 percent of those surveyed said they created new jobs.

WMC surveyed member CEOs and top executives in March.  The online survey was conducted from March 5 through March 12. 

WMC surveyed 1,142 top executives from among its members and 136 companies responded.  Nearly 70 percent of those surveyed were in the manufacturing sector, which pays the highest wages and benefits.  The remaining 30 percent were from other sectors.  Companies of all sizes responded to the survey.

“The fact that we are seeing such strong job projections from a survey that is largely comprised of manufacturers is very good news for Wisconsin,” Bauer said.  “Manufacturing pays the best wages, offers the best benefits, and sustains our middle class quality of life in our state.  This survey is very good news for our state.”

Wisconsin’s unemployment rate has dropped to 6.9 percent, while the national average has remained at 8.3 percent, reports the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development.

“Wisconsin is heading in the right direction,” Bauer said.  “And, employers are confident and creating jobs.  We have made the tough choices to balance our books and get our fiscal house in order, and it’s starting to pay dividends in job creation.”

Last year, 94 percent of WMC members said the state is headed in the right direction. In 2011, Governor Scott Walker and the Legislature passed a series of tax cuts, regulation reforms, and lawsuit reforms aimed at improving the business climate.  “People have noticed that Wisconsin is serious about job creation and those reforms are encouraging job growth,” Bauer said.

For Further Information Contact:
Kurt R. Bauer or James A. Buchen, (608) 258-3400